A well-designed designed competency framework can help focus development effort on the key skills, attitudes and behaviours an organisation needs to drive superior performance.
The Keil Centre has worked with over 30 different organisations to design and implement competencies as an effective foundation for use in:
- Performance review
- Development planning
- Cultural change
As a template of successful performance, it provides a cornerstone to support the organisation's HR strategy. The Keil Centre approach to designing competencies is to:
- Focus on what will drive the organisation to achieve its objectives
- Ensure competencies reflect superior performance
- Include key stakeholders on the design to create a sense of ownership
- Ensure competencies are worded to reflect the culture of the organisation
- Structure the competencies in a useable way that is easily remembered
- Start with the end in mind - to maintain momentum and integration with performance management and development processes
Once in place, the competency framework can support a range of development activities, such as:
Whatever method of development is chosen, structured support - over time - is required to help individuals to achieve sustained behavioural change. The Keil Centre's approach involves the following stages:
6 Steps to success
- Awareness-why is it important for me to develop in this area?
- Assessment- where am I now? Where do I need to be?
- What is the gap?
- Understanding-what do I need to do differently?
- Experimentation - what happens when I try new approaches?
- Effective application-how can I apply what I have learned?